Saturday, December 31, 2011

34 Years of Christmas Poems: Christmas 2001



As we close out 2011 today, I hearken back to 2001 and my "technology upgrade." Now that I was working for HP and had come over to the land of PC (personal computing, aka Windows), I was firmly ensconced in the hottest of technology trends; digital cameras and home photo printing.

When Jeri and I had traveled to Maui the year before, I had taken the leap and purchased a $300 1 MP HP digital camera. That's ONE megapixel, my friends! You pay for being an early adopter. I also found an online bargain and "only" paid $100 for a 128 MB compact flash card (which today wouldn't be good enough to put in a cereal box as a prize.)

I have no regrets about any of this, just recounting history. It enabled us to share our travel adventures with many (pre-Facebook, of course) and take a lot more pictures on the fly. Several years later, it fed into the scrapbooking craze as one could easily sort pictures and only print the best at home. Such was the fun I had at HP, teaching salespeople and customers about all of the life enriching possibilities.

This year's trip into NYC for the Rockefeller Center tree, store windows and Radio City Christmas show turned into fodder for the annual poem. Many beautiful shots of lights and trees were also taken at Longwood Gardens in PA.  I was able to turn the shots into a video for the first time and narrate my own work. This was burned onto a CD and sent out as my "card." for the year. I would get even more ambitious in the years to come.

The tone of the poem continued to be "see and embrace the oneness," and I was appreciative of the inspiration on how to express this.

Love to you all. Be safe tonight. Happy and healthy!

Christmas 2001
by
Richard Perrotti

One late winter’s night, I basked in the light
of the world famous big city tree.
The crowds had all flown; I was nearly alone
as I stood ‘neath its limbs broodingly.

So many come here from far and from near.
I wondered, what is it they seek?
It’s beautiful, I know but then, even so!
Its not like this tree can speak!

As I pondered this thought and the feelings it brought
a branch bent down, nary a whelp.
And as if out of space shone a light in my face
distinctly saying, “I can help.”

I looked in amaze at the bulb in my gaze,
As it spoke in a voice colored blue.
Twinkling, it said, “Some light I can shed.
I’ve but one simple question for you.”

It asked, “Can you see? Do you appreciate me,
as my light sets your eyes all aflame?
If you appreciate one, the wonder’s begun!
For the one and the all are the same.

The flow you can’t see that animates me,
flows through us all without end.
The spirit’s the same, regardless of name.
I hope that this helps you, my friend.”

If a bulb can but smile, it did for a while
as the limb slowly rose to the start.
It had started to snow, reflecting the glow
And I felt it illumine my heart.

This magnificent sight, colorful chorus of light,
Can never be dimmed or dulled.
For the splendor of this tree is nothing more, I now see
than the beauty of one little bulb.

December 2001 (note the events of the 22nd & 27th and the changes they wrought):
1st - Captain Bill Compton brings Trans World Airlines Flight 220, an MD-83, into St. Louis International Airport bringing to an end 76 years of TWA operations following TWA’s purchase by American Airlines.
2nd - Enron files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
6th - The Canadian province of Newfoundland is renamed Newfoundland and Labrador.
11th - The People's Republic of China joins the World Trade Organization.
13th - the Indian Parliament Sansad is attacked by terrorists. 15 people are killed, including all the terrorists.
15th - The Leaning Tower of Pisa reopens after 11 years and $27,000,000 to fortify it, without fixing its famous lean.
19th - A record high barometric pressure of 1085.6 hPa (32.06 inHg) is recorded at Tosontsengel, Khövsgöl Province, Mongolia.
19th - Argentine economic crisis: December 2001 riots - Riots erupt in Buenos Aires after Domingo Cavallo's corralito measures restrict the withdrawal of cash from bank deposits.
20th - Argentine economic crisis: President of Argentina Fernando de la Rúa is forced out of office.
22nd - Burhanuddin Rabbani, political leader of the Afghan Northern Alliance, hands over power in Afghanistan to the interim government headed by President Hamid Karzai.
22nd - Richard Reid attempts to destroy a passenger airliner by igniting explosives hidden in his shoes aboard American Airlines Flight 63.
27th - The People's Republic of China is granted permanent normal trade relations with the United States.
29th - Mesa Redonda shopping center fire, Lima, Peru, at least 291 killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment